Add Your Heading Text Here
How to: Fix a Slow Computer
A slow and underperforming computer is not just unproductive, it is pull your hair out frustrating. Luckily, we have put together some quick fixes you can try before you call in the big guns (yes, we are talking about ourselves).
1. Have you tried turning it off and on again?
While this does sound stupid, there is a valid reason why it works.
Restarting your PC clears your RAM (Random Access Memory) and allows for the apps you are currently using to work more effectively. When you are frequently opening and closing apps some of them may still be operating in the background – restarting your computer forces them to close.
If you are having any unexplained computer issues this should be your first course of action.
2. Have you checked for new updates?
Ensuring you have the latest version of Windows is the most effective way to get the best out of your equipment. To check for updates simply:
- In your Start menu click on Settings.
- The navigate to Updates & Security and Windows Update.
- Click Check for Updates.
- If the status says “Updates are available” select Install Now and install all updates.
3. Have you disabled any unnecessary startup programs?
Startup programs are those programs that open and run, either in the fore or background, when you turn on your computer. While this is helpful for programs that you use often, it can significantly slow down your computer.
To see what programs open on startup and turn off any you don’t need select the Start button, Settings, Apps and Startup.